BRIKSDAL GLACIER WALK
sightseeing, naturalistisk tur, Meal included
A walk which, with the landscape, will leave even the most expert mountain enthusiasts open-mouthed: a journey amongst rocky cliffs, basins of blue and green water, and pristine country in one of the most famous and most visited fjords in the world.
What we will see
- Community of Geiranger
- Flydal Gorge, break area, breathtaking view of the Geirangerfjord
- Lake Djupvatn, spectacular views of the valley, Dalsnibba Mountain, unspoilt landscapes
- Summer ski park on the Tystigbreen glacier, Grotli, villages of Loen and Olden, Nordfjord
- Lake Oldenvatnet and the Jostedalsbreen glacier
- Norwegian lunch
- The Hornindalsvanet glacier and village of Hellesylt
What we will do
- Our tour begins in Geiranger , a small community situated in an inlet of the famous Geirangerfjord , a UNESCO-protected site.
- Starting at the docks, we head immediately for higher ground.
- Our first stop will be Flydal Gorge, an historic point of interest since 1936. Here, we find a break area with services and a platform from where we can admire Geirangerfjord from above... and take photos of our ship!
- Our winding road leads us in the direction of Lake Djupvatn , offering spectacular views of the entire valley along the way. We then continue to the top of Dalsnibba Mountain (1,500 m). We will find ourselves nestled amongst pristine scenery. We will breathe in extremely fresh air and remain speechless faced with the breathtaking landscape of mountains, waterfalls and lakes. If there is enough time, from here we can also see Geirangerfjord.
- After admiring the valley in all its glory, we make our way passed through the summer ski park on the Tystigbreen glacier , which sits at an altitude of 1,139 metres and Grotli. We continue along a road with 19 turns, all the while enjoying a landscape of exceptional beauty, in order to reach the villages of Loen and Olden on Nordfjord , one of the largest fjords in Norway.
- Next stop: Lake Oldenvatnet , which is encircled by majestic mountains and the striking Jostedalsbreen glacier. Our coach will drop us off outside the Briksdal Inn hostel; our walk to the glacier, where a small lake has formed, will begin here. The glacier's impressive ice tongue lies before us, strong and powerful, putting on a magnificent show.
- After admiring this beautiful landscape, we will relax by taking a break at the lodging house where we will sample a Norwegian lunch.
- We then head towards Hornindalsvanet , which is the largest lake in West Norway and the deepest in Europe, as well as offering the clearest waters in Scandinavia.
- By late afternoon, we will arrive at the village of Hellesylt , located in lower Sunnylvsfjord (a branch of Geirangerfjord), where the waters of the waterfalls fall straight into the fjord.
What you need to know
- This excursion involves long stretches (about 5 hours) of coach travel along winding roads.
- It is recommended to wear low healed, sturdy comfortable shoes as part the tour is a 1 1/2 hr hike on partly rocky path.
- This excursion is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early to avoid disappointment.
- Participants will rejoin the ship at Hellesylt.