MERIKEN PARK AND MOUNT ROKKO BY NIGHT
Lunch not included
An evocative night-time excursion to enjoy some of Kobe’s iconic attractions under a different light: from the port area, with its unmistakeable red tower, to the summit of Mount Rokko, where we can take in the plethora of lights in the city and the bay.
What we will see
- Walk through Meriken park overlooking the sea
- Kobe Port Tower: an icon of Kobe’s skyline
- Mount Rokko
- The Rokko-Shidare Observatory
- Wonderful views of Kobe’s lights and the bay
What we will do
- We start our night-time excursion at Meriken park, a pleasant sea front garden in the harbour area. Created on a reclaimed area, it is an attractive lawn dotted with fountains and modern art installations.
- Inside the park, we can admire the Kobe Port Tower, a cylinder surrounded by a red pipe structure in the shape of a Japanese traditional drum. This tower, 108 metres tall, has become an icon of Kobe’s skyline and an attraction for tourists from all over the world.
- We then continue our tour by reaching the summit of mount Rokko to visit another symbol of Kobe: the Rokko-Shidare observatory. Designed by Hiroshi Sambuichi, it is covered by a dome structure made up of mesh panels resembling a tree and filters air thus regulating the temperature within the building. At night-time, the structure is lit up adding charm to this very peculiar design.
- From the observatory’s platform, we take in the amazing panoramic views over Kobe and the bay of Osaka and admire the vast territory at the foothills of Mount Rokko.
What you need to know
- The length of the coach transfer depends on the itinerary.
- We recommend that you book early because only a limited number of places are available.
- Traffic jams are to be expected during tourist season.
- Money cannot be exchanged at the port; we recommend buying Japanese yen beforehand.
- Visibility during the tour is subject to weather conditions.
- Comfortable shoes are recommended.