VISIT TO PRINCESS SISSI'S PALACE AND THE CITY OF CORFU
From the splendour and elegance of Achilleion, the villa of Princess Sissi, the Empress Elizabeth of Austria, to the magnificent landscapes and architecture of Corfu, the enchanting capital of the Ionian Sea's emerald island.
What we will see
- Achilleion: Princess Sissi's Palace
- Kanoni (photo stop)
- City of Corfu
What we will do
- After leaving the port, we set off to discover one of the numerous attractions of the island of Corfu, which the Greeks call Kerkyra. It is no surprise that Princess Sissi, the Empress Elizabeth of Austria, chose the island as a refuge, far from the obligations of the Habsburg court. The Empress, who was prone to solitude, loved spending time on this peaceful island, admiring its rolling landscape. She therefore had a magnificent villa, Achilleion, built here in neoclassical style. Following her death it was purchased by Emperor Wilhelm II, who was also enchanted by the beauty of Corfu. Accompanied by our guide, we step back into the past, admiring the sumptuous frescoed rooms decorated with classic motifs, the works inspired by Greek mythology, and the furniture and customs associated with this enchanting residence dedicated to the Empress's favourite hero: Achilles. We then gaze at the magnificent Italian-style gardens that slope towards the sea.
- This charming visit continues to one of the most beautiful places in Corfu: Kanoni, a small island from where the white monastery of Vlacherna can be seen, connected to the mainland by a small bridge. We will have the opportunity to take photos to remember this truly evocative sight.
- The last stop on our excursion is the city of Corfu. We walk through the labyrinth of narrow streets that flow into picturesque squares, brought to life by traditional craftsmen's shops that tell the history of the island.
What you need to know
- Places on this excursion are limited. We recommend booking early.?
- It is not allowed to take pictures/videos and guiding in St. Spyridon church.
- Dress code that is appropriate for the places of worship is recommended.
- This tour is not recommended for guests with mobility problems.